World Cup Merchandise
Click Here
World Cup Betting & Odds
Click Here
2010 World Cup Tickets
Click Here

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Barry Moved To Protect His World Cup Ambitions

Midfielder Gareth Barry's move from Aston Villa to Manchester City has clearly stunned a lot of people who genuinely thought the guy was about more than just money. And, I admit, I was among them.

The self-justification that Barry has come out with subsequent to the transfer has been pitiful really, but the thing that really takes the prize for me is Barry's claim that he moved in order to ensure his place in the 2010 World Cup squad.

He is quoted as saying :

“The World Cup next year has always been a major part of my thinking...I feel at Manchester City I will get the chance to play regularly in my best position and play a big part in a successful side.”

Now, I don't doubt for a minute that the guy wants to play world cup football, but claiming that the move to City would help attain it is ridiculous.

At Villa, Barry was pretty much ever present for manager Martin O'Neill and his consistently good performances brought him to Fabio Capello's attention.

At City, he'll have to compete with Nigel De Jong, Vincent Kompany, Martin Petrov and whoever else Mark Hughes brings in.

Pull the other one, Gareth. It's got a six figure weekly salary attached to it.

Labels: ,

Digg!

posted by mark_s at 7:36 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home